• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Will you let your dog die a natural death?

Woofer

Reaction score
Putting dogs/cats to sleep is now becoming a popular way of ending an old pet's life.
It is done to ends its misery caused by old age i guess.

Would you consider putting your pet to sleep? or will you let it die a natural death?

Willy_Meow

Reaction score
I can't even think of it , too busy in spending great time with my pets.

Reaction score
I prefer to let natural death happen if possible. I think this is easier with smaller breeds though and not so easy with larger ones. Once they can't walk or move for whatever reason, they will be pooping and peeing in one place which can be overwhelming if they are larger than say, 30 pounds.

tomrackies

Reaction score
It depends really if they are suffering with the naturallity of their death. If it's old age then i would be okay with that. I will just give a proper Brisbane pet cremation and ceremony for my beloved pet.

MichaelNY

Reaction score
This.

The decision should be based on suffering. If they have no chance of surviving and they're in pain then it's better to put them down than let them suffer.

Catwoman

Reaction score
Putting dogs/cats to sleep is now becoming a popular way of ending an old pet's life.

Would you consider putting your pet to sleep? or will you let it die a natural
My father was a veterinarian, so I have been a part of witnessing many people trying to make these decisions. I truly believe there are times when one should love their pet enough to help them go so they do not suffer. I have seen some who think more about how sad they will be rather than seeing how sad their pet is. Yes, I would put my dog to sleep if it was in pain.

ngonazcom

Reaction score
My father was a veterinarian, so I have been a part of witnessing many people trying to make these decisions. I truly believe there are times when one should love their pet enough to help them go so they do not suffer. I have seen some who think more about how sad they will be rather than seeing how sad their pet is. Yes, I would put my dog to sleep if it was in pain.
OK. Thank you!

AdamLJ85

Reaction score

Great answer and insight from someone close to a vet.

It's a great point to remember that the decision is about the pet, more so than your own feelings. However hard that may be. :(

DinoNuggetz

Reaction score
I would definitely put euthanize my pet if they were suffering/in pain. Although I would want to spend more time with them of course, I would not want to spend that time happy with my pet while my pet is wasting away and in pain. I feel that it would be selfish of my to my own emotions over my pet's health. I would put my cat to sleep if it came to it, but I would try to give them the best last moments! I wouldn't want my last memories of my cat to be her suffering, I would want to remember the good times and how great of a life she had.
And she just almost fell off my desk just now...

Berry

Reaction score
I agree with what everyone said basically.

I would prefer the pet to have a natural death if possible, but if this pet is suffering, and not doing good and in pain then I would consider euthanization. I've personally never had to do this, but I know when the time comes I would do it if my pet is suffering and the right decision was to euthanize.

Catwoman

Reaction score

Would you consider putting your pet to sleep? or will you let it die a natural death?
It is not old age that is the problem. It it were just age, everybody would keep their pet until it’s natural death. As far as it becoming popular, i disagree. My father started his veterinary practice in 1955. In those days, people had pets, but they were treated as pets. People were much more inclined to euthanize a dog or cat than I see now. These days one hears all about pets being like family. The most horrible thing I see so much now is people dropping there old dogs off at a shelter rather than taking responsibility for that pets entire life. It breaks my heart to see an older dog, scared to death, in all the noise, shivering and cowering in a corner of a concrete kennel, wondering “Why? What did I do to deserve to be thrown away?”

EmmaWilliam

Reaction score
I would prefer natural death, but I won't let my pet suffer. Although I would really hate to see my babies suffer :(

Jake

Reaction score
Natural death would be ideal, but sometimes it doesn't go that way. Sometimes pets suffer and you will need to put them down or get them checked out. And keep in mind, sometimes it's an easy fix to save a pets life. If they're suffering, and can't be cured, then it's be best to put the animal down.

CarolSmith

Reaction score
It depends really if they are suffering with the naturallity of their death. If it's old age then i would be okay with that. I will just give a proper Brisbane pet cremation and ceremony for my beloved pet.

tomrackies​

it's okay when peoples in Australia.
How about outside of Australia.
My neighbor suggests me this local pet service directory.
Now I can choose which pet crematorium is close to me.