• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Why would someone want to own an alligator?

Pumpkin

Reaction score
I have heard of people in the US owning them and I can't for the life of me understand why someone would want this as a pet. They need so much room and time, and the cost of their diet must be expensive if you are doing it right!

John.Billings

Reaction score
I have heard of people in the US owning them and I can't for the life of me understand why someone would want this as a pet. They need so much room and time, and the cost of their diet must be expensive if you are doing it right!
They must be filthy rich to think and do of it.

Mikey13

Reaction score
To show off? I am not sure. I have never known someone to want to care for one outside of people who work at the zoo. I am guessing it is not only time-consuming but expensive to keep a creature that size healthy.

Willy_Meow

Reaction score
Let's reciprocate the question , why wouldn't someone want to own an alligator?

Petz

Reaction score
I remember seeing a story not too long ago about a man who was actually, well, doing things to them down in Florida no sane man should be doing. I don't understand it. They need space and freedom. It is wrong to keep one as a pet.