• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Why do dogs lick people? Do you let them lick your face?

Woofer

Reaction score
Just thinking aloud! Why do you think dogs lick people's face? Do you let yours lick your face?

WelshSteve

Reaction score
Licking is a form of bounding. They do it with their packmates and to a dog, you are a packmate. I don't let my dog lick my face and if he happens to lick my hands or arms, I wash after. Not a fan of it but I don't punish him for it.

EagleEye

Reaction score
Personally I do not like when dogs lick my face, especially unknown dogs, who I have no idea what they previously licked

Tenerife

Reaction score
It's to show affection mostly, My dogs are clean so I don't mind them licking my face

Willy_Meow

Reaction score
Altho if might be annoying when an animal licks your face but when you realise that all they're doing is showing love , you'll be fine with it.