• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheGoldfishTank.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

What's the usual lifetime of a goldfish?

billylondon

Reaction score
How long do goldfish usually live for? I hear they could potentially live up to 10 - 15 years. Is this actually true? I imagine they would need to be properly taken care of for a long time. I also hear they can live for up to 20 years even.

This was the article I found these details - Tankarium

Alex001

Reaction score
Hmm, I had no idea that goldfish could live so long. Every time I had a pet goldfish, he would die pretty fast, like a month or two into owning the guy. I suppose maybe I wasn't the greatest when it came to taking care of fish back then. I did have them just in one fishing bowl, so maybe he died because he didn't have anywhere else to go? I suppose if I ever get goldfish again, I'm going to make sure they're well taken care of.