• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

What do you consider when choosing a pet bird?

Woofer

Reaction score
Just curious. What factors do you consider important when shopping for a bird?

Tillybobs

Reaction score
I don't have one. But i would consider the noise level! I wouldn't want to buy a noisy bird.
I will also be keen on the feeding complexity. I was told some birds require some complicated feeding program. I would also be keen on the lifespan of the bird. I wouldn't buy a bird that will die so soon.

Elsie

Reaction score
Noise level is a good point. Because with any birds, you're going to get some chirping. You also need to take into account care, food, cage, etc. Some birds need more space. An like Tilly says above, try to find a bird that has a long lifespan. I had Canaries as a kid, they lived for around 5 years or so. But their voices were wonderful and they were cute little buggers.

The bird I really want, is a Caique though. They're like smaller parrots, but much cuter imo. As well, they can live up to 40-50 years. I hear they're really smart animals too.

Willy_Meow

Reaction score
Well there isn't a big list for things to look out for. I'll go for the most friendly one.