• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Were bulldogs ruined because of constant breeding/crossbreeding?

Blubblub

Reaction score
I heard a story about bulldogs and how they used to look much different 100 or so years ago, compared to the bulldogs of today. I mean, this is what bulldogs used to look like pretty much 100 years ago:

And today, they seem to have shorter legs and a more pushed in face. Or maybe I just take the internet too seriously. What do you guys think? Has breeding and crossbreeding ruined the bulldog?

Elsie

Reaction score
idk, they don't seem to have changed too much. From the image you shared, they do look like they have longer legs and aren't to the ground like bulldogs seem to be today. But their faces look pretty much the same. At least to me.

h0rsey91

Reaction score
Yeah, I heard that bulldogs looked a lot different 100s of years ago. I could easily see them doing too much cross-breeding with other dogs. These days some bulldogs have problems with their mouths, or so I've heard. Like their jaws aren't shaped right it seems, at least to me.