• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

The most social birds

Alex001

Reaction score
What kind of birds would you say are the most social? The ones that will socialize more with humans and mimic them more often? I just want a pet bird, like a parrot, that will repeat some of the stuff I say, or will even say random things. I think it'd be fun to teach them to say hello when people come in. That's be cute. And I'd like them to say random funny comments if possible. :D

What would you say are the most social birds?

Reaction score
What kind of birds would you say are the most social? The ones that will socialize more with humans and mimic them more often? I just want a pet bird, like a parrot, that will repeat some of the stuff I say, or will even say random things. I think it'd be fun to teach them to say hello when people come in. That's be cute. And I'd like them to say random funny comments if possible. :D

What would you say are the most social birds?
Not all parrots will learn to talk no matter the species. My one conure talks up a storm but my other one never learned to talk. Talking is not a reason to get a parrot. They can live a very long time and some can out live people if properly cared for. They are also very loud and need a ton of attention and toys to chew or they can end up with behavioral problems such as plucking their feathers. I suggest doing a ton of research before getting one. Too many birds end up being rehomed and in shelters being tossed around cause someone wanted a talking bird. (They dont talk they mimic)

Elsie

Reaction score
I'd imagine parrots are the most social, but to teach them to talk is probably tougher. I think owning a parrot at birth, is the best way to get birds to talk, as training them early on will bring out better results.

Reaction score
I'd imagine parrots are the most social, but to teach them to talk is probably tougher. I think owning a parrot at birth, is the best way to get birds to talk, as training them early on will bring out better results.
As a former parrot breeder and having worked with behaviorist handraising a baby vs an adult has not much of a difference. I have handraised babies that became untame and I've have adult birds become tame over time.

nicolehirth98

Reaction score
I don’t think that every parrot is the same. And if you are planning to buy a parrot you do a lot of research. Because if you are going to buy a parrot just because you like talking birds, you can be wrong at this point.

All parrots don’t talk because once we have some parrots and then we realized that some speedput talk a lot and one didn’t talk ever. We talked to a vet about this and he said that it’s up to them if they like to talk or not. Also, they need more attention than any other bird. So, if you don’t have time to take care of them you should buy them. You can learn more about their behavior here