• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Small animal food

Flashthepig

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have a Guinea pig named flash and I am soon going to get a Dwarf hamster and I have 2 things I want to ask you guys, I have been using the Oxbow brand for food and do you think that that brand is good for a hamsters? And also I NEED girl hamster names ASAP!!! Thanks guys!

Berry

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have a Guinea pig named flash and I am soon going to get a Dwarf hamster and I have 2 things I want to ask you guys, I have been using the Oxbow brand for food and do you think that that brand is good for a hamsters? And also I NEED girl hamster names ASAP!!! Thanks guys!
Hi! Oxbow is not a good food for a healthy hamster diet. If you could tell me your country I might be able to help a bit better in finding a good one :D

Flashthepig

Reaction score
I live in the US in Kansas, I don’t mean to be rude or anything but how does that help you with finding a good brand?

Last edited:

Berry

Reaction score
I live in the US in Kansas, I don’t mean to be rude or anything but how does that help you with finding a good brand?
Some countries won't have things available others might. For example, in Canada, it's really hard to find Higgins Sunburst-which is easily found in USA stores. There are only so few commercial hamster options that are good.

If you are in the USA I would first recommend Robin's Gourmet Hamster Food. Her food is honestly the best in the USA but shipping can be a tad bit expensive. I buy from her myself and have talked with her before and she is really knowledgeable and really cares about the quality of her product :)

If you are unable to get Robin's Gourmet Hamster Food I would recommend a 45/50 mix of Higgins Sunburst and Mazuri Rat and Mouse Pellets. Just combine one bag of each together and you are good to go. You may want to break the pellets into smaller pieces for easier consumption though~