• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Popsicle sticks?

Leena123

Reaction score
I’d love to build my hamster some little hideouts or structures out of popsicle sticks to add to his cage. I’ve heard that they can splinter and poke the hamster if they chew on it but what are your guys’ thoughts? If I only use them to cover a cardboard wall or something like that would it be ok?

Berry

Reaction score
My hamsters have never chewed on popsicle sticks, so I've used them without issue. Though, this will differ from hamster to hamster. If you want to try it out I say go for it, but keep an eye to make sure it's not being chewed. I am not sure about all your building plans, but I recommend not using the popsicle sticks as a "fence," there have been multiple reports of injury from doing this.

Leena123

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I wasn’t thinking of making a fence, I can see how a hamster may get injured from that. I might make a small bridge (no gaps) or something like that. 😁

Emi

Reaction score
oh what a great idea, to make small bridges out of popsicle sticks! very crafty stuff! I have only made hats for my hammy (a xmas one and a birthday one) :LOL:

Leena123

Reaction score
Awww cute! We tried to take a picture of my hamster wearing a tiny hat but he wouldn’t sit still and we couldn’t do it. Love your profile pic 😁

Reactions: Emi

Emi

Reaction score
😄 pictures of my hammy with those hats are only for our own pleasure, as long as they don't suffer or struggle, so I use those freezing moments where she sits very still ready with a camera to go and I just pop the hat onto her head...