• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Pigs as pets

JPacker

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever had a pet pig? I grew up always wanting once ever since the movie Babe. I hear Pigs are fairly easy to train. I also hear some people have successfully gotten them to use litter boxes. I imagine that would need to be a pretty big litter box.

So, what do you think of having pigs as pets?

Pumpkin

Reaction score
A friend of mine did when we were younger. She was allergic to cats and dogs and her parents wanted her to have someone to bond with and care for. He was a cute piggy. Very smart. I think they make excellent pets for the right person. They can be potty trained to go outside just like a dog.

John.Billings

Reaction score
They are cute. Keeping them as pets is not what I'll opt for as they can make mess at times.

Willy_Meow

Reaction score
I haven't kept one as a pet but I've heard that they love to play in muddy puddles.

WelshSteve

Reaction score
There is a family down the street who has two as pets and they always say that something no one ever told them is how noisy pigs can be. They make all sorts of noises, especially when they want something. They walk them daily down the street, so it is fun to see.

EagleEye

Reaction score
Never had a pig as a pet and can't recall anyone I know who had one either.

Tenerife

Reaction score
My neighbor had a piglet has a pet, but I think they gave it away before it became too big

chintumiya

Reaction score
In recent years, the popularity of pigs as pets has skyrocketed, and many pig lovers have purchased ‘mini’ or ‘micro’ pigs to live in their homes as companion animals. The intelligent and affectionate nature of pigs means they can be entertaining and rewarding company, not to mention very cute. The craze of keeping pet pigs has been influenced in part by celebrity culture, with Paris Hilton, Victoria Beckham and Ariana Grande all posing with their porcine pets. (Ariana’s pet pig is even the star of one of her music videos).

Pigs are smart enough to be trained like dogs, and can be house trained, walked on a lead and even taught basic tricks. The trend of keeping pigs as pets, however, has led to an influx of pet pigs to rescues, as their well-meaning owners struggle to meet the animal’s complex needs.