• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

My friends canary died randomly

billylondon

Reaction score
A few years back I was house sitting for a friend and I was told not to mess with their canary. I guess they had feed out for him for the amount of time I was there, as they didn't ask me to feed him. And when I did check on him, he had enough food. Anyway, I started noticing the bird acting very strange though at one point, flapping around the cage like crazy. And then he just stopped. I didn't pay much attention to it at first, but I gradually noticed he wasn't making a sound, and went to check on him. And there I saw him lying there. I was pretty sure he was dead, so I called the owner and told him what happened.

Has anything like this happened to a pet bird? I always wondered what caused the bird to do that. Did he end up accidentally killing himself from flying into the cage so much?

Walkies

Reaction score
Canaries and many other small birds can die suddenly from a number of things. He could have been choking on some food, he might have had issues from a draft (they can kill certain birds), Or he simply could have had a heart attack. It is sometimes hard to know.