• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Is it better to have a pet room?

Jacob

Reaction score
I noticed some people tend to keep all their pets in one room. There are typically caged animals but sometimes can be cats and dogs if they are small and need to be kept in a separate area of the house while no one is home. Do you think it is better to have a pet room vs having pets all over your house?

Walkies

Reaction score
I think if you have a lot of caged animals, it would be easier to care for them if you have a dedicated room for sure. I feel like if you just have some dogs or cats, a fish tank and a hamster, it is not a big deal to have them in different areas of the house. Cats and dogs can roam freely in most homes and tanks and hamsters don't take up much room.

MichaelNY

Reaction score
Yeah, it really depends on the pet. If it's a dog then obviously you dont want to keep it in one room the whole time! If you have birds, hamsters, fish, then maybe...

Petz

Reaction score
If you intend on having a lot of pets that need to be kept in tanks and cages, it does make it easier to care for them. I have a friend who has over 15 reptiles and aside from one, his HUGE snake, he keeps them all in a spare room in his house.

lisaB

Reaction score
Pet rooms are great for collections and breeding. I would never have a pet room for something like a cat or a dog unless they were still able to free-roam the house and the room was only meant to serve as a "play area" where their toys and such were kept.

chintumiya

Reaction score

Would You Give Your Pets a Room of Their Own — Even Their Own Condo?​

I’ll admit it: I bought my house (and my couch, and my rugs, and much of my wardrobe) for my dogs. Or, at least, with them in mind. When my husband and I have two cars, one is always the dedicated “dog car” — something that our dog trainer says is just one of many criteria that instantly identifies us as “dog enthusiasts,” a growing majority of pet owners who integrate their animals into every aspect of their lifestyle and the choices they make for their families. Because our pets are family, too.
Screenshot (20).png
Research shows that more and more of us are making not just lifestyle but real estate decisions — even choosing which city to live in — based on our dogs (and cats, and even birds and bunnies). This week, The New York Times ran a story — penned by Apartment Therapy contributor Caroline Biggs — featuring a handful of pet owners whose love for their animals drives not only their design choices for domestic interiors but, in one next-level case, how to best use their real estate portfolio to benefit their pets. Caroline created a beautiful bunny habitat in the spare closet of her city apartment. At the other end of the spectrum, another woman gave her animals an entire 650-square-foot condo to call their very own.