• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

How do I stop my dog from running towards the road?

h0rsey91

Reaction score
Lately my dog has been trying to get to the road more often. I believe it's because our neighbor has a dog and he always keeps him off his leash. My dog thinks it's a good idea to just run across the road. Is there a way to assert myself more and stop her from running out to the road like this?

WelshSteve

Reaction score
Do you not keep your dog in a fenced-in yard?

I would recommend investing in an electrical fence if this is not the case. It is hard to train a dog not to run to another dog. I had this issue and I no longer let my dog out in the front yard.

EagleEye

Reaction score
This is difficult bheavior to train, I always try to keep mine on a leash unless within the fence

Tenerife

Reaction score
Ah, my dog will bolt towards nowhere if I ever let me leash off, this behavior could be trained but very difficult for domesticated dogs.