• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Have you ever had to give a pet away?

Joggergirl

Reaction score
Years ago, before we got pets, my dad found an abandoned dog on the street. He was a cute little guy, but wasn't trained at all. At the point too, he was fairly old, and likely had no training at all. We tried to take care of him, train him, but it didn't help. We decided to give him to a friend, who had more time and could train at risk dogs no problem.

That dog survived and thrived with the new owner. He lived another 6 years before he passed. We got to see him a few times after we gave him up, and he was all cheerful and happy. Was happy our friend took such good care of him.

Have you ever had to give a pet away?

DannyBoy

Reaction score
Yes, i have given away lots of Kitten and puppies to friends and family members. In order to manage the number of pets in my house, i usually give away the kitten or puppies when they are still young. That way, they will not feel withdrawn. But there is this one time i had to give away a grown up dog that i was alredy fond of. It really messed me up, because i ended up missing him so much.

Chloe1992

Reaction score
Yes, last Christmas i gave out 3 Chihuahua puppies to my cousins in exchange for an African Grey Parrot.

Elsie

Reaction score
When I was a kid my dad brought home a dog. We found out that the dog was a stray that was hanging out around the neighborhood all month I guess. My dad was tired of seeing it out there in rough shape, so he brought it in. We discussed keeping him, but that fell through when he decided to bite my dad. We ended up giving him to a person who was good with training dogs. Explained what happened (was my dad's fault, put his hand close to his face, doggo didn't like that), and he took the dog in no questions asked. He would rehabilitate the dog and try to find someone to foster him, or adopt.

John.Billings

Reaction score
Yes , the time when I had 9 cats at my home , I had to give them away as my father didn't allowed me to keep as many cats.

Mikey13

Reaction score
I never have, outside of animals I have found and was looking for homes for them. I never had a pet that I considered mine and had to give away to someone else. Once I bond with an animal, there is no giving them up.

Willy_Meow

Reaction score
I once had to give my kittens away since they were increasing in number but the ones who adopted them are nice and caring.

WelshSteve

Reaction score
When I was a child, my dad lost his job and we had to give away both of our dogs. It was heartbreaking for me. They weren't able to care for them. My aunt ended up taking them in so I still got to see them but just not as often. Only once or twice a week.

Tenerife

Reaction score
Well not necessarily give away, but I had to take of a neighbours pup for almost a month, and was sad to give it back!

chintumiya

Reaction score

'You feel like a failure': When it's time to give up your pet​

A black sheep dog with one white paw sits on grass looking up at the camera.

We loved our dog, Mallee, but living together just wasn't working.
When my partner and I first considered giving up our dog Mallee for adoption, we were ashamed.
At first, the idea made us both grimace a little like we'd tasted something sour.
But the words could not be unsaid.
Several weeks later we posted an ad online, ready to wait as long as it took to find the right new home.
Despite ensuing guilt (ours), and judgment (our friends'), we eventually arrived at an improved living arrangement for both us and Mallee.
But there is a subtle feeling of fault that lingers, most noticeable when I find myself, in conversations with friends or colleagues, skipping over the particulars of why there's no longer a pet at home.
I know what many of them think.
"There's stigma around [the idea] that people ditch their animals for convenience — it just got a bit too hard so they gave up," says Mia Cobb, a human-animal interaction expert, and lecturer at Deakin and Melbourne universities.
"I think in some cases that's true, but I don't think it's fair to paint everyone with that brush."
Sometimes, she says, it just doesn't work out.
A close-in shot of a dog with its mouth wide open and snout almost touching the face of a smiling woman.

It's not uncommon to feel guilty when surrendering a pet, says animal-human interaction expert Mia Cobb, pictured with her dog Rudy.
Not just 'throwing their pets away'
Ms. Cobb says surrendering pets is "messy" and deserving of "a whole lot of empathy for all parties".
"I have empathy for the animals. I have empathy for the owner [and] for the rescue groups helping to re-home those animals. It's really hard," she says.
"I don't think anyone likes it when they fail at something when something doesn't work out their way."