• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Harness or leash?

Westie

Reaction score
When it comes to walking your dog, what do you prefer to use? A harness or a leash? I started using a harness for my dog, and I feel I have better control this way. He already walks by my side, but when he does push forward for any reason, I have more control at stopping him. And I am not choking him, like it would with a leash.

Berry

Reaction score
When I have my dog, we had a harness with the leash attached to the harness. She's somehow still managed to choke herself with the harness sometimes (mostly only when wanting to go say hi to someone) but it was a lot better and safer than the leash.

Shazza

Reaction score
I've always thought that harnesses seemed kinder than having something tied around your dog's neck. I wouldn't like to have something tied round my neck so I'm sure dogs don't either! Especially when they pull at the lead. I alsways worry they might get hurt when they do that

Blubblub

Reaction score
I've always thought that harnesses seemed kinder than having something tied around your dog's neck. I wouldn't like to have something tied round my neck so I'm sure dogs don't either! Especially when they pull at the lead. I alsways worry they might get hurt when they do that
Yes, this right here. Harnesses work in protecting the dog, because standard leashes, you're pulling on a dogs neck if they are running forward on you. And that's not good for many reasons.

It comes down to training though. If your dog pulls you, then that means they're taking the lead, and that's never good. Dogs should walk beside or behind you, as you're supposed to be the pack leader. I've watched too much caesar millan dog whisperer lol.

But yeah, a dog pulling is no good. It wouldn't matter so much about what kind of leash you use, as if they're trained, they won't run ahead of you. A good trained dog won't pull, even if there is another dog around.