• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

HAMSTER MIGHT HAVE MITES!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO???????

LeenaLovesHammies

Reaction score
My syrain hamster often rubs himself against an area in his play pen and itches/scratches himself too, more than normal. I think he has mites, but his fur looks normal and other than itching and rubbing, his behavior is normal too. If he has mites, what should I do?????

Berry

Reaction score
How long have you had him, and is he your first hamster? Sometimes the normal grooming of hamsters can look a bit strange to us at first but ends up being normal. However this could be a cause for concern, do you see any little bugs or mites crawling around? And it is one specific area he keeps scratching or just himself as a whole?

LeenaLovesHammies

Reaction score
His fur and coat look very healthy, no visible mites or bugs, we recently changed his food to higgens sunburst and mazuri rat and mouse. Previously he had oxbow essentials hamster and gerbil. It is my first hamster, but I've researched a lot into grooming, and this is a change in behavior. He never used his hind legs to scratch this much before, and the rubbing is aggressive and much more than usual. We've had him for about 3 months now.

Berry

Reaction score
Have you checked out that area below the fur to see if there are any lumps or bumps at all? It could be beneficial to do if not. Other than that there's really not much else to say. If he ain't scratching or rubbing to the point of losing fur and such, then I wouldn't worry too much. I would just keep observing him if it gets worse. If you are still worried you can also take him to your local exotic vet (ask for one with hamster or small rodent experience). There's also a chance he's just getting more comfortable around you, therefore showing his grooming behaviors more vs when you aren't there.