• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Getting a second dog when your pet gets older

petlover56

Reaction score
I have an amazing pet, Bambi, and I am so grateful to have her in my life, but as she gets older, I keep wondering whether I will be able to cope when I eventually lose her. I wanted to know what your thoughts are on getting a second dog as a companion for your older dog and for yourself. I think it will make the loss less devastating but I wonder if that's selfish of me.

LPC

Reaction score
It's a choice, which depends upon the dog(s) concerned and your own emotions. You would not be selfish, whichever way you decide.

If you think that having a second dog would help to comfort you for the time when your older dog passes, then that is fine, provided:

you are sure that your older dog would not be jealous;
that the younger dog would not be too young (older dogs can get exhausted and irritated with a puppy play biting);
that your motives for taking in a younger dog are also good ones: e.g. taking in a homeless dog, desire to offer love and care to the younger dog (not just for company after the older dog passes).

Every best wish to you, whichever way you decide! I hope that the above will help you in making your decision.

When your older dog passes, if you feeling very down you are welcome to contact me.

Sokamix

Reaction score
I have an amazing pet, Bambi, and I am so grateful to have her in my life, but as she gets older, I keep wondering whether I will be able to cope when I eventually lose her. I wanted to know what your thoughts are on getting a second dog as a companion for your older dog and for yourself. I think it will make the loss less devastating but I wonder if that's selfish of me.
I think it’s a good idea. Just make sure that your dog is the right type of dog for another young dog probably bothering her a lot. With my dog, she’s 10 and we got a puppy and she loves him, but does growl sometimes. But just make sure your dog will be ok with it. I wouldn’t get too young of a dog though. Best wishes to you and what decision you make!!