• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheGoldfishTank.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Euthanize or not?

henriean

Reaction score
Hi, ok, so I’ve had goldfish for 4 years, and the oldest (the one I’ve had from the start) is kind of sick. There are now 3 fish in a 250l tank, and the two others are perfectly healthy, and water tests suggests everything is fine. That’s why I think the last one has something individually not contagious that never gets better. I think it happened in the last 125l tank he had with another one. I used an automatic feeder for a holiday, but it was defect and fed all the food, killing the other one due to the high levels of nitrate. I got super mad, and I have always been very careful about automatic feeders later on.

By kind of sick I mean that he constantly have small semi-white patches on his skin (but they are never super prominent, just barely there, but could look like traces of fungus), typically on the same two places + swim bladder problems, for a year now, but when feeding he eats and acts normally, but often he doesn’t have the energy to do else than hovering by the surface in a corner because of his swim bladder. I’ve tried feeding peas, not feeding for a day a week, using salt in the water, heating the water a bit, and also more hardcore medicines. But nothing has healed him completely. I feel I don’t have any suggestions for healing him left, and I feel sorry for him. Even though I think he could live for more years in this condition, I’m not sure it’s humane.
I read that a humane way of putting fish down is to use clove extract to make them unconscious and then use more to stop the brain. So I’m considering doing that.

What do you think I should do?

Blubblub

Reaction score
My first thought was Ich, but if the other fish aren't catching it, it may not be that. I could see it being something fungal, but the other fish should also be affected by it too, as it would probably mean there's some fungal growth in the tank. Or at least I think so.

If could still be ich and your fish have been luck, I would still quarantine this one from the rest, just until he is cured of this. I suggest taking your fish to a vet if possible. I don't know what it could be if it isn't ich.

henriean

Reaction score
My first thought was Ich, but if the other fish aren't catching it, it may not be that. I could see it being something fungal, but the other fish should also be affected by it too, as it would probably mean there's some fungal growth in the tank. Or at least I think so.

If could still be ich and your fish have been luck, I would still quarantine this one from the rest, just until he is cured of this. I suggest taking your fish to a vet if possible. I don't know what it could be if it isn't ich.
I don’t think its ick, since it’s not dots, more like one patch one place. Also he’s had it for over a year (during several attempts of treatment) while the others have no symptoms at all.
I will see if there’s a veterinarian that can see him, thanks!

Elsie

Reaction score
Yeah, my first thought was also ich, but like you said, it isn't affecting any of the other fish, so it can't be that, as it's highly contagious. I was also thinking of thrush, but idk if that affects fish in such a way. But yeah I think a vet would be able to figure it out. Better safe than sorry too in case it's something worse.

h0rsey91

Reaction score
Please do let us know how it goes, and what it may be. I hope it's nothing major and is something your vet can cure in no time. Ich would have infected the other fish by now, so I have no clue what it could be.