• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Dogs that pull on the leash?

Reaction score
My mother has a German Sheperd she adopted a few years ago. He was 2 years old when she adopted him. He was never able to walk on his leash properly. She has tried harnesses, different collars, training tips... Nothing has helped. It is hard for her to walk him at all now. I have been going by once a week just to walk him in my spare time and he pulls A LOT. Is there any way to fish this without paying for training lessons?

Newbee

Reaction score
Some dogs need training which I know can be costly. There are different training options on the market but it is always best to have a professional work with you. I don't know of a single trick that has helped remedy this after a certain point.

PetNatter

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's worth trying to train the dog, though obviously it will be harder to train an older dog that has developed bad habits. There is some truth in the phrase "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"!

The basics of training a dog to walk on the lead are to praise and reward the dog when they are walking close to you.

Whenever they run off ahead and start pulling on the lead, stop praising them and stop the treats.

Tempt them back to you with a treat and only give it to them when they are nearby, the lead is loose and they're walking properly again.

It won't happen instantly, but with enough practice, this can work well. Let us know how you get on!

tess

Reaction score
My mother has a German Sheperd she adopted a few years ago. He was 2 years old when she adopted him. He was never able to walk on his leash properly. She has tried harnesses, different collars, training tips... Nothing has helped. It is hard for her to walk him at all now. I have been going by once a week just to walk him in my spare time and he pulls A LOT. Is there any way to fish this without paying for training lessons?
Hi! My dogs do this too. If he pulls, don’t go any further on the walk. Just stop. When he notices your aren’t going to keep going unless he stops pulling, he’ll stop.
there is also a spray you can use on leashes if he’s biting it as well
Hope this helps!