• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Does anyone here run a animal shelter?

h0rsey91

Reaction score
I would love to one day build an animal shelter so I can save and protect animals of all kinds. Does anyone here run their own shelter? Or maybe you even shelter some animals in need?

Willy_Meow

Reaction score
It's my wish and an aim to run an animal shelter one day , all the torture they go through can make me go sleepless.

WelshSteve

Reaction score
I have never run one but always loved the idea of doing a no kill, non-profit shelter. It would only be run on donations and all that. I have a friend who volunteers at one but I never have.

EagleEye

Reaction score
I support my local animal shelter with some donations once in a while, the people there work super hard

Tenerife

Reaction score
Unfortunately Animal shelters are usually run by volunteers and dont really get paid much! God bless their souls!

chintumiya

Reaction score

How does the HSUS help local animal shelters and rescue groups?​

The HSUS, a national animal advocacy organization, complements the work of local groups by focusing on national-level issues like ending the puppy mill industry, strengthening cruelty laws and eliminating large-scale animal abuses. We also run programs and spearhead campaigns designed to ease the burden on local sheltering groups. For example, Animal Care Expo and HumanePro provide superior educational and training opportunities, while Pets for Life keeps pets with their families and reduces the number of homeless animals. The Shelter Pet Project, a national media campaign that the HSUS runs in partnership with the Ad Council and Maddie’s Fund, encourages people to adopt from shelters and rescues. The HSUS also provides rescue groups with training opportunities and important resources through Rescue Central.

Finally, although the HSUS does not run or oversee local animal shelters or rescues, we do operate rescue teams, community-based programs and five wildlife sanctuaries and care centers that directly assist tens of thousands of animals each year—and we're always looking for volunteers.

Where can I lodge a complaint about a local shelter or rescue group?​

As a national animal advocacy organization, the HSUS doesn’t operate or oversee local shelters or rescue groups. We are neither a parent or chapter organization for any group, nor an inspection agency. Each shelter and rescue group is an independent organization governed by its own board of directors or local officials, and each group sets its own policies and rules. If you have a complaint about a local group, bring your concern directly to the person in charge of that organization, since they are in the best position to understand the issue and make change.