• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Do smaller dogs live longer?

Blubblub

Reaction score
I was always under the impression that smaller dogs lived longer than bigger dogs. I'm aware that bigger dogs tend to suffer from more health problems, but do they die a lot faster compared to little dogs? Or is it about the same?

billylondon

Reaction score
Well, I hear they live longer because they don't age as fast as bigger dogs to, as well, they are at lower risk of cancers because of how much slower they age.

So yeah, they do tend to live a bit longer.

PUPPYGOD

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more with Billylondon! But this still just a pattern on which you should not look when buying a dog which you prefer.

Petlover121

Reaction score
Small dogs live longer than larger dogs because they grow slowly when they are puppies. Large breed puppies, on the other hand, grow very quickly and put on a lot of weight in a very short time. Your dog's metabolism works at full speed, creating free radicals that promote oxidative stress.

Solohaas

Reaction score
The largest dog breeds (Great Dane, Berner, etc) definitely have reduced lifespans. I'm not sure what difference between medium sized and small sized dog lifespans are.

Flashthepig

Reaction score
Yes I have 4 small dogs and 1 big dog and I have had many dogs in the past and smaller dogs do tend to live longer!!