• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Do parrots really talk?

Tillybobs

Reaction score
I stayed at a friend's place for over 2 days, but i never heard his parrot talk! Or imitate the sounds.

Do they really talk?

Blubblub

Reaction score
Yes and no. Parrots take a lot of training to learn to mimic people. It's probably best to train them from birth, because otherwise they likely won't learn to mimic people. But yes, they can talk, mostly by repeating what people say. It's pretty cool! :)

Tillybobs

Reaction score
Yes and no. Parrots take a lot of training to learn to mimic people. It's probably best to train them from birth, because otherwise they likely won't learn to mimic people. But yes, they can talk, mostly by repeating what people say. It's pretty cool! :)
That is pretty cool indeed. I have never seen that in real life. I wouldn't mind owning such. I'm sure kids will be happy to play with it.

Elsie

Reaction score
I remember my school brought a trained parrot in one time. It was cool, because it repeated what we would say. Sometimes he wouldn't though, as I think the audience of kids scared him. Anyway, I always wanted a parrot after I saw that bird. Sadly, I hear it's quite hard to train them to mimic people. Getting one to ask for crackers would be fun! :D

Willy_Meow

Reaction score
Not every parrot but parrots like African Greys can speak if thought or not , just by listening to what you say.

Reaction score
My parakeet talked. He would say a handful of things. He would ask "Whatcha doing?" when you would go by his cage. He also said "hello" and a few other one-word things. Hookbills are the types who can learn to talk but not all do. This is not to say other birds can't. Some people have had talking ravens.

Reaction score
They don't talk they mimic meaning they can say certain words but they don't really know what they mean. Though some birds can put a word to an action like a dog does.