• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Animals and Leather

Reaction score
Something I always thought was interesting is that most animals, be them cats or dogs, birds or rodents, seem to be drawn to leather. I have heard of all sorts of animals going after leather jackets, hats, and boots. Some will rub themselves on the items others will chew up or destroy them. Anyone know what this is?

lisaB

Reaction score
I am not sure what it is but it likely comes down to the smell. They can smell that it came from another animal. We don't have a good sense of smell to detect the differences in objects and materials as animals do.

Newbee

Reaction score
I am not sure what it is but it likely comes down to the smell. They can smell that it came from another animal. We don't have a good sense of smell to detect the differences in objects and materials as animals do.
That is likely what is going on. I mean I can go to a pet store and then go around a cat or dog and they can smell the animal scents all over me. I would imagine because leather is a byproduct of an animal, they know this just from smelling it.